woensdag 19 januari 2011

Jan 17 : II

We did a lot of visits. First we met with the Head of an NGO we work with. There I got a (insert fancy Indian term meaning “dash of red ochre on the forehead”) and a (insert fancy Indian term for “shawl”). Snazzy.
Then we went to visit one our projects. I had, early in the day, laid claim on the official camera, so I was charged with using it. Needless to say (but I do like to blow my own trumpet now and again): I was glorious.
The project consists of our company taking the kerosene lamps from the villagers in exchange for fancy rechargeable solar lamps. And taking their ICLs in exchange for CFLs. Obviously. One of the advantages of those two (solar & CFLs) apparently is their “nice, white, bright light”. This sounds rather extremely silly, but is actually a lot better for the eyes and will allow the villagers to work in normal circumstances when the sun is down. Cheerio.
We had lunch (though that might have been before the visit to the project. Time is muddled in my head (muddling is quite popular in there, I’d wager, considering the general state of my thoughts).
We then visited a school. The students had, as valuable work experience, helped us out with a survey (think door-to-door “excuse me sir, can we ask you a few questions on your use of electricity & kerosene for lighting?”. Insert a few interrupting door-in-face moments and you’re probably not even close). Which really was rather nice of them. Krish & Michael did a speech. Everyone from the GVV team (including me) got flowers. Yeay me.
Some students hung around to ask Michael for an autograph. I patiently made myself available but they didn’t seem to get the hint. One day, when I’m rich(er) and famous(er), they will realise their mistake and gnash their teeth.
We then went to another hotel (where we would have our press conference the next day), had dinner & went to bed.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten